With newsrooms shrinking and the media landscape constantly changing, it is more challenging than ever for brands to generate earned media coverage. According to the Pew Research Center, newsroom employment in the U.S. went down by 23 percent between 2008 and 2017. One of the biggest causes of this is the decline of paper newspapers as readers are relying on digital and online news sources.
As a PR professional it is my job to help food and consumer brands generate earned media coverage. But what happens when you don’t have timely news hook or any “new” news to share? It’s easy. You create the news yourself. But how?A newsmaker service works with you to develop a story angle that is newsworthy and will be attractive to today’s media.Click To Tweet
A newsmaker service works with you to develop a story angle that is newsworthy and will be attractive to today’s media. Once the story angle is established, the service will conduct a poll to generate data and research to support your story angle. Depending on the company, the service will provide you with an article, infographic and video to tell your brand story and highlight the key learnings and data from the survey.
Below are five reasons why you should consider partnering with a newsmaker service:
- Increase earned media coverage: The newsmaker service pitches your story to national, top-tier media outlets with proven results of getting pick up.
- Produce original content: Part of the service includes producing original high-resolution deliverables including engaging infographics, photography and video to help tell your story visually.
- Generate data: To support your story angle, the newsmaker service will conduct a poll to generate survey data. This data can be used to attract media who want to see stats and research to back up your story. The data can also be repurposed in other brand content such as social media to promote your brand.
- Reach target audience: Partnering with a newsmaker service allows you to conduct a more targeted media approach to reach your desired audience. These services have proven track records and credibility among media and can provide an added layer of expertise to reach your target audience.
- They get results: Most newsmaker services guarantee a minimum of top-tier media placements so they will work hard to ensure they make this happen. Your team will work with you to ensure your story is newsworthy and that you’re representing your brand in a compelling way. I’ve worked with SWSN to support earned media relations efforts with food clients and have received top-tier media placements in outlets such as USA Today, Yahoo!, TODAY Show and Good Housekeeping.
For more insights on communications and brand strategy, industry trends and more, subscribe today to the Weekly Buzz here.