Every month, we’re highlighting stories, trends and tips related to employee engagement and workplace culture that organizations should be keeping top-of-mind in order to engage, retain and recruit top talent.

1. Employees are pushing companies to take a stand. Beyond being a good corporate citizen, many companies today are feeling the pressure to take a stand on social issues – and that pressure isn’t coming just from customers, but employees, too. Take Amazon for example, who recently announced a plan to tackle climate change. This plan comes after more than 4,500 employees signed a letter earlier this year urging the company to take aggressive action on this issue. And, more than 1,000 employees pledged to participate in the Global Climate Strike walkout this past Friday, which represented the first strike at Amazon’s Seattle headquarters in the company’s 25-year history, according to Wired. Key takeaway: As my colleague highlighted in her post on Walmart’s recent social activism, studies show that employees place a high priority on working for an organization whose values align with their own and who commits to addressing societal issues. And remember, your employees can be your biggest ambassadors – or your most vocal detractors.

2. “Minternships” are becoming a thing. Okay, maybe it’s not an official term yet, but BBC reports that many millennials who aren’t satisfied with their jobs are choosing to become “minterns,” or middle-career interns, in order to relaunch their careers or switch professional paths before it’s too late. These employees are willing to sacrifice their paychecks for the chance to find a job that makes them happier and gives them a better sense of purpose – it’s that important. Key takeaway: While not everyone can put financial needs aside to start over as an intern, this trend shows just how much younger workers care about having careers that truly fulfill them. And with Deloitte’s 2019 global survey finding that 49% of millennials will quit their jobs within the next two years, it’s on employers to make sure their people fall within the other 51%.

3. Flexibility is an expectation. Once considered a perk or differentiator, a flexible work schedule is now an expectation among younger workers. But this goes beyond being able to leave early for a doctor’s appointment or stay home with a sick child – many employees want to be able to choose when and where they work. And with technology making it easier than ever to work remotely, they can. In fact, a study by PwC found that many employees now see work as a “thing” rather than a “place.” Key takeaway: Younger employees will continue to seek companies that allow them to shape their jobs around their lives, instead of the other way around. This New York Times article explores whether they’re the first generation of employees to truly get work-life balance right.  

What are some trends that you’re seeing in the workplace? We’d love to share them in a future post! Check back next month for more.